Saturday 17 January 2015

A New Kitchen Tool: The Spiralizer




One of weekly habits is to look through the flyer from my favorite grocery store.  I happened to stumble across a new kitchen toy at a very good price.  Long story short, I have been looking for a spiralizer for a reasonable price for over three years.  I couldn't resist the deal.   Once the purchase was made, you guessed it...so began my research for a new recipe.  I had made raw zucchini noodles many times with a smaller kitchen tool, so all those were out.   I didn't want to use beets on my first time using my new toy as I didn't want to stain it on the first use.  Then, I found this site:

http://www.inspiralized.com/

To my surprise, not only could I use my spiralizer for raw veggies, but I could use it to prep them for cooking.  Seemed obvious, but I honestly never thought of that!  Where to begin?  The recipe that spoke to me for this week was Spiralized Paleo Eggs “Benedict” with Roasted Sweet Potato Noodles, Avocado and Chipotle Hollandaise.


Before you stop reading, don't worry if you don't have a spiralizer.  You could still make this recipe by cutting up the sweet potatoes and baking them. (I must admit spiralizing was a lot of FUN, so if you find one at a good price - BUY IT!).   Again, I loved the contrast of the spicy flavour of the chipotle sauce against the sweetness of the sweet potato.  I usually toss my sweet potatoes in chili powder prior to baking them, but the chipotle offered a whole new dimension.  I must admit that I was not a fan of the cooked avocado.  When I make this recipe again, I will serve it with the avocado raw.  The clean-up for the sauce was tricky as the coconut oil hardened in the blender as I left the sauce in the blender until the end.  I will DEFINITELY be making this sauce again as my husband did not get the chance to try it and is very curious of all the possibilities with just the sauce alone!  So, next time,  I will remove the sauce from the blender immediately and then soak the blender in hot water for an easy clean-up.  If your spice tolerance is low, you might want to consider using half a chipotle pepper in the sauce.  I personally love the sauce as is but could see how some would find it too spicy.   The best part of this recipe is that I made it for dinner.  Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?  I had enough made that I had a yummy breakfast ready on a weekday as I just had to prepare my eggs in the morning.  I actually hard boiled the eggs in the morning for a time saver!  With my new lessons in place, I will be making this recipe again, and again...and again! 





The Spiralizer

Spiralizer in Action

Breakfast for Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment