Saturday 25 April 2015

BBQ Glazed Mini Meatloaves

This week's recipe is going to accomplish a few things.  Naturally, I am meeting my goal of trying a new recipe with the added bonus of having a new meal I can make at home and share with others.   The super added bonus is that I found yet another recipe that will be able to be used in my Foods 9 program as this recipe is very easy to make!  Gotta love when things work out like that!

I was worried at first with this recipe as I didn't love the taste of the sauce as I was making it....BUT...once it was all done, this recipe tasted awesome!  It took a bit of convincing to myself to use ground beef as I tend to only use ground turkey, but I am glad I stuck to the recipe for the first round.  I might consider using ground turkey next time just to compare.  I love the addition of grated carrots, grated zucchini, and wheat bran for added nutrition.  I was also surprised that it did not require an egg.  When I make this at home next time, I will double the recipe for sure as these make a nice leftover lunch or are also fun to have around for a snack.

This recipe reminded me of the salsa stuffed muffin meatloaves that I also found with Canadian Living magazine and that have now been part of my Foods 9 program.  The problem now is that I like aspects of BOTH recipes, so.....my next step for this recipe is to combine the two recipes into one for my Foods 9 program. (SEE LINKS BELOW FOR BOTH RECIPES)  I am still thinking on what I will keep and what I will eliminate.  Will I  keep the wheat bran, carrot, and zucchini and eliminate the black beans?   I am torn between the salsa versus the homemade sauce.  I like the seasoning of the chili powder and think I will use fresh garlic instead of green onions.  I will not use an egg nor the cheese.  I might just present both recipes and allow the students to play and make up their own creations.   It will take some playing and some feedback from the students this year to perfect it for next year.  Whatever choices come into play in the weeks to come,  I know that these will be a hit with the students as they love the salsa stuffed muffin meatloaves.  For me, it is more about the technique of making the mini meatloaves and demonstrating that there are many different possibilities.  How exciting!  I hope that you, too, have some fun playing around with these two delicious recipes. 


http://www.canadianliving.com/food/bbq_glazed_mini_meat_loaves.php


http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_and_easy/salsa_stuffed_muffin_meat_loaves.php


 
BBQ Glazed Mini Meatloaves

BBQ Glazed Mini Meatloaves

No comments:

Post a Comment