These muffins are a crowd favorite! Many people forget about cornmeal when they make muffins or bread. The favorite variations from my grade 9 students are either strawberry jam or a combo of cheese/bacon/green onions. Remember to cook your bacon first and crumble it into the batter. A small hint about the cheese: use a sharp tasting cheese to not lose the flavor of the cheese: old cheddar, smoked cheese, blue cheese, parmesan, or you think of a few.....Enjoy!
BASIC CORNMEAL MUFFINS
125 ml cornmeal
125 ml buttermilk or sour milk
125 ml flour
30 ml granulated sugar
5 ml baking powder
30 ml oil
30 ml chosen variation – cheese, jalepenos, jam, berries, corn, bacon, ham, etc.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line muffin tin with liners.
- Combine cornmeal and buttermilk and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients
- Lightly beat egg. Add oil and stir well. Add to cornmeal mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. YOU MAY ADD YOUR VARIATION AT THIS STEP OR AT #5.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins. Using a small spoon, make a well in the center of each muffin and fill with 5 ml of each variation.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let muffins sit for a few minutes before removing them from the pan.