Monday 9 February 2015

Breakfast Pizzas: To scramble or not to scramble

 
 
This week's inspiration came from a desire to change recipes in my grade 9 Foods and Nutrition program, specifically this month in the eggs unit.   The idea of making a breakfast pizza came to me one day.  I had a student volunteer from the high school help me search out some ideas last week.   We took ideas from a few different sites and combined them.  This weekend, my home kitchen became a test kitchen for my Foods classes.
 
The dough is from my grade 9 recipe that I do with a regular pizza.  I figured that part would be a nice review as they have made homemade pizza already.   I then put some sauce as the base with some grated extra old cheddar (as I didn't have mozza or fresh mozza at home).  Then, I added some sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, sautéed onions and peppers.  Then came the experiment.
 
Pizza #1 then got some partially cooked bacon.  At this point, the pizza gets baked at 425 for 5 minutes.  Then, you remove it from the oven and place some raw eggs on top, using a custard cup to ease them on.  The baking continues until the eggs are done to your liking.
 
Pizza #2 baked for 5 minutes.  Then, I added some cooked turkey sausage and scrambled eggs and continued baking for about 7 minutes.
 
Both pizzas were garnished with fresh parsley when they came out of the oven.
 
The winner was pizza #1!  Of course, it was better as it had bacon on it, but the fun factor of cooking the eggs in the oven was an added bonus.  It was neat to place raw eggs on and trust that they would cook properly.   Next time, I would add four eggs and spread them out more so that there was egg in more bites and pieces. 
 
Pizza #2 was still good, but the scrambled eggs made it messier.  My grade 8s do a similar recipe with English muffins, so I felt that this wasn't much of a change.
 
I will make pizza #1 at home again, but I will do some of the prep the day or night prior to lessen the prep all at once.
 
As for Foods 9, this week, 30 breakfast pizzas will be prepared in my two full year Foods 9 classes.  The eggs will be placed on top raw, not scrambled.   There will be options for the meat and veggies.  I wonder how many groups will choose bacon???

 
 
Pizza #1 prior to baking

Pizza #1

Pizza #2

No comments:

Post a Comment