Tuesday 17 February 2015

Lemon Poached Shrimp with Pistachio Dukkah

Delicious!  Spectacular!  Fun!  Just frickin' awesome!!  These are a few words to describe this recipe. 

http://www.alive.com/recipes/view/1220/lemon-poached_shrimp_with_pistachio_dukkah

Of course, I had to try a variation.  I wanted to see what would taste better in the dip:  Greek yogurt or sour cream.  The jury is still out on this one.  Both are great.  I loved the creamy taste of the sour cream with the buttery flavour/richness of the prawns and felt that the sauce coated better as it was thinner.  The Greek yogurt, although thicker,  was very tangy allowing the flavour of the prawn to pull through.  I felt that overall there was a bit more balance with the sour cream (although my mind was loving that the Greek yogurt was healthier!).

The recipe made a lot of sauce and dukkah, so I was able to poach more prawns the next evening as well.  I do recommend NOT serving all of the dukkah and reserving some so as to not get it moist with prawns, etc.  The dukkah is very versatile.  For example, it is a great coating for other meats and is an excellent salad topper!  I am excited to research many other things to do with this as the flavour and textures are spot on!

Where next with this recipe?  I WILL be making this a regular part of my appy collection.  It is just plain fun to eat.  It is very hands on and allows for easy mingling and eating.  I love that it is served cold, so it is very easy to make ahead to have ready for when your company arrives.  I am wondering what other options there are to dip instead of prawns....roasted baby potatoes, blanched carrots, raw cucumbers, scallops?  I am also curious in experimenting with the dip flavour as I have found a few variatons on-line, such as a chili lime sauce.  One thing must remain as is - the DUKKAH.  It is fabulous!   This recipe has been filed in my appy section and will be making regular appearances - maybe even at our camping happy hours!  Thank you, ALIVE magazine, for another great recipe!




Lemon Poached Prawns with Pistachio Dukkah
 
Sour Cream vs. Greek Yogurt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment