Monday 16 March 2015

Marinated Italian Mushrooms

Added to my resolution to try new recipes, I have been trying to go out and try some new restaurants in our downtown core.  The trend in some places seems to be getting a charcuterie platter served with homemade meats, relishes, pickled vegetables, cheeses, bread, etc.  We tried one where it had some really flavourful pickled mushrooms and cucumbers. 

While flipping through (you guessed it), "The Oh She Glows Cookbook" by Angela Liddon, I found a recipe for Marinated Italian Mushrooms on page 193.  (Liddon, Angela. The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the inside out. Toronto, ON.: Penguin, 2014. Print.)  I decided that this had to be my next recipe.  Of course, my husband had to go online to his favorite recipe website , All Recipes, to find a different recipe for "pickled" mushrooms to get even closer to the taste of the restaurant's mushrooms.  The cook off began!

If you like mushrooms, you will love both of these recipes.  The pickled mushrooms recipe is easier to make only because you don't have to take the stems out of the mushrooms.  We both agreed that both recipes were good and that we will continue making both to add to our home version of a charcuterie platter.  I don't advise making both of these at the same time as we have had a lot of mushrooms to go through! 

As far as a winner....IF we were competing for the recipe closest to the one at the restaurant, the pickled mushrooms are the clear winner.  (I don't remember setting that goal....).  As far as any changes, I can't see that happening.  We liked both recipes just as they were.

Here is a video you can watch to find out how to make the ones from the Oh She Glows cookbook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScfFbXVGAY

This is the recipe that my husband found - I can't resist....."Monty's Mushrooms"
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-pickled-mushrooms/


Marinated Italian Mushrooms


Zesty Pickled Mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment