Tuesday 5 May 2015

Cauliflower Corn Chowder

A healthier version of a chowder caught my eye as I was perusing an issue of Canadian Living magazine.  Too good to be true, so I just had to try it out.  Pureed cauliflower instead of cream?  Interesting!

This recipe is good on its own, but I also think it offers an excellent base for a lot of chowder variations.  I enjoyed the soup, but I did find it offered a bit of sweetness....could be that my taste buds are changing a bit or that I had super sweet corn and a super sweet red pepper by chance.    The recipe does recommend to add chicken as a variation, but we are more seafood or clam chowder fans....(I know, I know....but we are saving our calories from no cream, right?).   So....I can see this being made again with the addition of prawns, scallops, and/or salmon or with just clams.  I am also curious to try it with some potato in it as well to make it super hearty.   There are many possibilities for this recipe next fall and winter for sure!

I would disagree with the hands-on time of 30 minutes unless I am a bit slower at prepping food.  I even cheated and used canned corn kernels instead of husking corn cobs, and it took me over 30 minutes from start to finish.  Having said that, it is still very doable on a week night.  Be sure to read the intro paragraph warning about taking the vent off your blender lid and covering it with a tea towel as the hot soup can cause pressure inside the blender!  That would not be fun to deal with after a day at work.....or anytime, really.....

Here is the on-line version of the recipe: 

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cauliflower_corn_chowder.php

Enjoy!


Cauliflower Corn Chowder

No comments:

Post a Comment