Sunday 25 October 2015

Poached Pears in Honey, Ginger, and Cinnamon Syrup


I have never poached pears before, and I learned a few things along the way.  I think my only issue was that my pears could have used an extra day or so to ripen.  I have new respect for poached pears as you will need to poach them at the exact perfect ripeness for them to not be too firm nor too mushy.  Mine were a bit firm, so it was a small struggle to eat them.

This recipe has an amazing balance of flavours.  My house smelled like mulled wine, and I could have drank the poaching liquid if it wasn't so sweet....sweet wine, honey, simple syrup - yikes!  These did balance nicely with the ginger and cinnamon.  Another first was that was the first time I worked with vanilla beans - messy but worth it!   This was a good match for the vanilla bean ice cream - yum - a must for the recipe!

After a huge dinner, my guests just wanted half a pear.  I was worried about the presentation, but they ended up looking pretty both cut in half and whole.   I think due to the firmness of the pears...half was a good choice as it was easier to break up with the spoon.  I now have some extra poached pears, so I am going to try and use them up in perhaps a pear crisp or some type of pear baking.  I could see myself making these again for a fall dinner party.  I hope you find the right ripeness of pears to have success with this recipe.



http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/poached-pears-in-honey-ginger-and-cinnamon-syrup-recipe.html



No comments:

Post a Comment