Monday 26 October 2015

Raspberry (OR Blueberry OR even Cranberry) Sticky Buns

I have been looking for a new sticky bun recipe for awhile, and this one was passed around on facebook in the summer.  I finally had a chance to try it out, and I am hooked (see below for my tried, tested and LOVED sticky bun recipe that I do with my grade 9s). 

I used the dough from my old recipe and used this link for the filling.

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/raspberry-sticky-buns/

I will be making this recipe in December with my grade 9s and will possibly give them the choice of blueberry or raspberry.  I am also thinking that I could freeze some fresh cranberries as the stores will be full of those for Christmas and it would make the sticky buns more festive!  I do think that frozen fruit needs to be used and it has to be smaller, so blackberries and strawberries are out unless I cut them ahead of time and freeze them.

There is not much to say about this recipe except that it is easy to make, as far as sticky buns go, AND it is super, super, super delicious!  One thing I did notice is that I am going to cut down on the amount of lemon zest by about half.  When they were fresh out of the oven, they tasted great!  However, I brought a sample home for my husband.  Hours after they were made, they still tasted great, but the lemon was VERY overwhelming (which was not noticed from the fresh ones).  At any rate, I am sure these will create a LOT more excitement in my school in December.  As if December isn't crazy enough - ha!  If you can't beat them, might as well join them! 



Raspberry Sticky Buns





Blueberry Sticky Bun
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sticky Buns

Ingredients:

 

Dough:                                  Spread:

625-800 mL      flour                         125 mL     brown sugar

60 mL               sugar                                60 mL       margarine

5 mL                 salt                           5 mL         cinnamon

10 mL               yeast                        Topping:

60 mL               margarine                  30 mL       margarine

250 mL             hot tap water            60 mL       brown sugar

1                       egg                           30 mL       corn syrup

 

Procedure:

 

Day 1:

1)           In a large bowl, combine 250 mL of flour, sugar, salt and yeast.

2)          Combine the margarine and hot water. Stir to melt the margarine.

3)          Add the water and margarine to the flour mixture. Stir very well for 2 minutes.

4)          Add 60 mL more flour and beat very well again.

5)          Add the egg and beat very well.

6)          With a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the flour to make a soft, non-sticky dough.

7)        Knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.

 

 

 
 
 

 

Day 2:         

 

Preheat oven to 375

1)           Knead dough for 1-2 minutes. Roll out into a square that is 10” x 10”.

2)          Spread with the 60 mL margarine and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

3)          Roll up and cut into 12 pieces.

 

Topping:

 

1)           Combine topping ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat until margarine is melted and ingredients are mixed. Pour into a rectangular cake pan.

2)          Place buns, cut side down into the pan.

3)          Let sit for 20 minutes on stove top, but not on vented burner.

4)          Bake for 25-30 minutes. If turning brown too quick, cover with aluminum foil.

5)          Let cool for 5 minutes, turn upside-down onto a jelly roll pan and eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment