1 large egg
80 ml milk
15 ml honey
pinch of salt
2 slices of day old bread (thicker sliced bread works best)
5 ml margarine or butter
2 plums, cut in half with pits removed
15 mL sugar
25 mL water
1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 F
2. In a custard cup, microwave the honey for 15 seconds.
3. In a bowl, whisk egg, milk, salt, and melted honey.
4. Dip bread into egg mixture, soaking for at least 30 seconds on each side.
5. Over medium-low heat, melt margarine in nonstick frying pan.
6. When the bread has absorbed all of the egg mixture, place both pieces of bread in the pan.
7. Cook until browned, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
8. Remove toasts from frying pan, place on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes in the oven.
9. Remove from oven and serve immediately with poached plums.
1. Place all three ingredients into a SMALL pot.
2. Cover the pot with a lid. Cook the plums on low to medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
3. Plums should be soft and surrounded by lots of pink syrup when done. Cooking time will vary, depending on how ripe the plums are.
4. Set aside to cool.
5. Serve with French Toast (watch the timing so both items are ready at the same time!)
Tuesday, 6 October 2015
French Toast with Poached Plums
This is a new recipe that I tried with all four of my Foods 9 classes this fall. It was DELICIOUS! Most of the students liked it and said that they would try it again. If you are looking for an easy breakfast solution or a recipe to use up some of those plums, give this one a go! It was so busy in the room that I forgot to take photos.....I am working on that!